Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The stars and the harbour

7 May 2009, 6.00pm




From Harbour City, we walked to the Victoria Harbour via the clock tower at the pier.




It was cool, if not cold along the harbour; like what I had experienced the first time I was in Macau and Hong Kong. From the harbour, you could see the skycrapers across the other side of the island, the Hong Kong Island. It was not as fascinating as watching the local ferries or the ancient-time ships floating past with their red sails.

The stretch along the harbour was a long walk and the sky had turned darker by the time we reached the Avenue of Stars.




Frankly, I do feel like a typical tourist taking photos of the "must-see" landmarks, just to leave a "I've been here" stamp. To me, there was nothing really wowed about the scenery nor the spectacular that people have been telling me about.


Not forgetting that there are dozens of vendors parking by the harbour for you to take photos against the harbour for HKD 10. In all, I wasn't impressed by the handprints on the floor nor the laser lighting across the nightsky.



After the harbour spectacular, we spent another good 20 minutes figuring our way to the nearest MTR. By then, we were already so tired that we made a stop at our hotel to rest our feet before heading to the Ladies Market on foot. It was already a quarter past 11pm when we reached there and the stalls were preparing to close. Instead of getting bargains, we met a rude auntie who refused to cut prices and said that we were in the way of her closing the stall. And so, we ended up leaving the place empty handed. Speaking of getting lost in HK, we couldn't be more lost than walking in the wrong direction all the time in Mongkok when there was only one road leading back to Jordan.

After getting some Ribena and magazine at the 7-11 near the hotel, we were back in the room near 1am. I was still wide awake till 3am.

No comments:

Post a Comment